December 21, 2008

Dal Makhni

Dal Makhni, though complex it may sound, in fact is one the easiest you can make. I've had many people exclaim to me "Oh you know to make Dal Makhni!" and many even go on to tease if I add coconut in it ;)

Make sure that you soak the dals atleast for 4 hours. If you don't have enough time boil water and soak the dal for 1 - 2 hrs.
CIMG4123

The best thing about this makhni dal is it gets better with time. So if you can make it and leave it for some hours, it is going to taste better.

Ingredients
  • Whole Urad dal (black lentil) - 1 cup
  • Rajma - 1 fistful
  • Fresh cream - 1/4 - 1/2 cup
  • Onion - 3 medium chopped fine
  • Ginger - 1 inch chopped fine or crushed
  • Garlic - 3 large pods chopped fine or crushed
  • Green chillies - 3-4 coarsely chopped
  • Tomato - 2 medim chopped fine
  • Coriander leaves - 3 tbsp
  • Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
  • Chilli powder - 1 tsp
  • Coriander powder - 1 tsp
  • Cumin (Jeera) powder - 1 tsp
  • Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
  • Salt - as required
  • Butter - one chunk (optional)
Method
  • Pressure cook the urad dal and rajma together. Let the water stand 2 inches above the dals. Give one whistle in high heat. Lower the heat and cook for 30 minutes. Once the cooker cools down, add the cream to it and mix well. The liquid will have a sticky texture
  • Meanwhile heat oil, splutter jeera, add chopped onions, ginger, garlic, green chillies and salt
  • Saute in high heat till onion turns brown and transparent
  • Add chopped tomatoes and saute till the oil separates
  • Add all the powders and mix properly
  • Add this to the cooked dal
  • Add the coriander leaves
  • Put the butter chunk if required
Tips
  • If the dal is too thick or if you want to improve the consistency, you can add some milk to it

11 comments:

Prathima said...

Yummmmm! I wish it came with that Roti too(NOOOO Parantha, Minu this time i pronounced it right too! )
Way to go babe!

Post some Mallu recipes too.

Minu said...

Definitely Prao...how about some puttu kadala and stuff like that ;)

Subash S L said...

You must check out Jaya's Kappa and Meen curry that she made today. The big difference between the traditional fish curry that is made in Kerala (predominantly south Kerala and one that is most commonly served at homes and Mallu restaurants) and the one made in the north is that the fish curries in the south tend to be watery and with fewer ingredients. In and around the Trichur area curries are made with coconut. My grand mother used to make it so thick that my mother used to say that if you were to draw a line with a spoon in the middle of the vessel containing the curry it will take a while for the separated portions to meet and mix. If you are a non-vegetarian and would like to try I could ask Jaya and send you the recipe. Or probably you already know.

Minu said...

Omigod! Kappa and meen curry! The thought itself is quite mouth-watering. I remember a couple of months back, we had been to Alappuzha and we were desperately looking for some authentic kappa - meen stuff. Much to our disappointment, none of the hotels served that. One hotel guy even told our driver, "kappa venenkil valla kallu shappil chennu thirakku". My husband, a north indian, was quite upset that he couldn't get the kappa experience.
Hey I'm looking forward for the recipe.

Which part of Kerala do you belong to? I belong to Palakkad.

Subash S L said...

Hi Minu, I am basically a Chennaite (brought up here) but I was born in Trichur. My mother's place in Kerala is Aratupuzha, a very beautiful village whose temple has an annual Pooram festival as the main Trichur temples do but there are more elephants in our festival. I feel a bit ashamed that after watching a pooram festival (and that too at night) way back in my childhood days I have never been to one later. I did write that my mother's place, Aratupuzha. So I'll leave you guessing about my father's place who is not from Kerala.

I leave for Kerala on the 26'th. Can't wait to take the vacation. It has been almost one year.

Minu said...

Arattupuzha...hmmm...So we are kinda neighbours :) Then it must be Jaya from South Kerala. The pooram / vela thing is just held in Palakkad and Thrissur, if I'm right. Our side we have this Nemmara Vallengi vela which is quite famous and then the not so famous Kavasseri pooram / Pudiyankom vela. It's been a long time since I have been to any of these. We are leaving for Kerala on the 24th and will be back on 29th. By the way, where is the recipe? :)

Subash S L said...

We leave on a horrendous trip on the 26'th (I am already paranoid because the train leaves Chennai at 3.30 AM and that too only till Trichur) and we return on the 3'rd. Recipe will come soon. Sorry about the delay. Too many things going on here. By the way one of Jaya's cousin is getting married on the 29'th (she comes from a huge family) from Chalakudy but lived most of her life in Ernakulam. Another cousin is getting engaged on the 25'th to a girl from Kuttipuram, a place near Palakkad.

Subash S L said...

Your Meen Curry recipe has been posted on my blog. Check it out.

By the way I must be there in Bangalore for the Iron Maiden concert on the 15'th. I have a big list of friends to meet and catch up with. Write to me at subashsl(at)gmail[dot]com (e-mail re-written to prevent spam software from spamming. Replace the (at) with @ and [dot] with .) with your contact details and I WILL try and contact you.

Manu said...

sorry for sounding a novice among the culinary experts.. But, is this what u cooked for lunch y'day ????

Minu said...

Nope! I made Rajma y'day...But you are close enough...with rajma being the common ingredient between both the dishes... :)

Manu said...

Excuse me for asking a totally out of context question.. Have U seen the tamil movie "Abhiyum Naanum"??? I thought of U when I saw the movie last week.. and I was reminded of the movie when I saw the Rajma dish!! :)